Over the weekend, I made some ricotta. As usual, I was left with whey and wanted to do something new with it. I'd had a craving for some rice pudding for a while and figured I'd give it a go with whey instead of milk or cream. It worked wonderfully, giving the pudding a delightfully tart flavor. I had assumed the whey would make it on the tart side so I decided to give it some warm spice notes as well and that is exactly how Chai Spiced Whey Rice Pudding was born.
- 4 Cups Whey (Milk or Milk Alternatives will also work)
- 1 1/2 Cups Rice, cooked (any will do)
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 3 Green Cardamom Pods
- 2 Whole Star Anise
- 1 Vanilla Bean, split
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Raisins (optional)
- Put the cardamom pods and star anise into a Spice Ball or tie into a Muslin spice bag.
- Combine everything but the raisins into a medium saucepan.
- Over medium heat, simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. It will thicken as it cools.
- Remove from heat and remove the spice ball and vanilla bean. Stir in optional raisins.
- Pour into dish or individual containers and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.