This easy and delicious gluten free apple tart is a simple and not-to-sweet dessert perfect for fall and winter eating.
There’s something so very homey and comforting about apple desserts – pies, cobblers, cakes and more all have a special place in our hearts and homes. This recipe is sure to become a quick favorite.
This particular apple tart is gluten free and vegan making it ideal for folks dealing with food sensitivities or navigating dietary choices while also being tasty to people who don’t worry about such things.
Hearty Oat Crust
Gluten-free oats combine easily with rice flour for a delicate tart shell that holds it shape. It browns delightfully with a slight crunch.
The crumb crust is simply pressed into a tart pan, meaning no rolling out of pastry dough. While pastry dough isn’t all that difficult this crumb crust is a delightful switch to the ordinary.
The oats add a nice whole grain heartiness to the overall gooey apple center.
I went with a quart jar of homemade canned apple pie filling in this recipe. However, you could use any kind of pie filling you have on had. Definitely feel free to use a store bought version if desired.
The ease of a canned pie filling makes this recipe even easier and quicker for busy weeknights or when you need to make something in a hurry for some kind of gathering.
Note: If gluten-free is important read the labels of store-bought canned pie filling carefully to be certain.
You could also fill the tart with fresh fruit mixed with some sugar for a different kind of tart.
The tart is amazing and filling just as it comes out of the oven. However, make it extra special by topping it with some whipped cream or ice cream.
Dessert or Breakfast
Originally this recipe was definitely intended to be a dessert. However, if you’re not opposed to the occasional pie or sweet breakfast treat, this tart is ideal for an early morning meal too.
It is quite delightful served alongside hot coffee or tea either way.
- 2 Cups Rice Flour
- 1 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Quart Apple Pie Filling
- Preheat oven 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 10" tart pan.
- Combine the rice flour, oats, brown sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour the applesauce and oil into the oat mixture.
- Mix well until everything is moistened and crumbly.
- Reserve 1 & 1/2 Cups of the crumbs, set aside.
- Press the remaining crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan. It will seem like too much but press hard and evenly to create a nice bottom and side crust.
- Pour the apple pie filling into the crust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbs over the top of the pie filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 419mgCarbohydrates: 101gFiber: 5gSugar: 40gProtein: 6g