We have bunches of apples from our tree and we recently purchased a box of Italian Prune Plums from a local person. It’s a lot of fruit to eat fresh and while we are preserving some, it seemed like as good as any excuse to bake. I wanted to combine the two fruits and decided to try using my Jam Tart crust as a base for some Apple Plum Crumble Bars.
These are quite tasty and could easily host more or stronger spices than the cinnamon – ginger would be excellent. If you use gluten-free oats, this is a perfect gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free dessert for all your sensitive friends and family.
- 1 Cup Almond Meal
- 1 1/3 Cups Oats
- 1 Cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Applesauce
- 3 Cups Plums, pitted & chopped
- 3 Cups Apples, peeled, cored, & chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- Make the filling first. Combine the plums, apples, lemon juice, and honey in a sauce pan. Mash slightly with a spoon or potato masher and cook until fruit is soft. Remove from heat stir in cornstarch and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Make the crust by mixing everything together until thoroughly moistened. Spread about 2/3 of the crust mixture into the bottom of a 9" square cake pan. Press the crumbs into an even crust in the pan.
- Pour the filling over the crust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 crumbles over the fruit filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes or until browned. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars to serve.