January 6th is National Bean Day. I’m sure you have a giant celebration planned. While, I know most people (myself included) would let this day pass unnoticed, it did give me a nice way to share a bunch bean resources with you. Growing, preserving, and eating beans are giant parts of our homespun seasonal lifestyle. Beans are relatively to easy to grow, generally prolific, easy seeds to save, and are powerhouses of nutrition. While I wouldn’t consider beans the basis for our nutrition or lifestyle, should some kind of disaster happen, beans would go a long way in keeping us healthy and progressing.
Beans in the Garden – Growing, Harvesting, & Seed Saving:
- Growing Green Beans
- Beans : A Growing Guide
- Harvesting Shell Beans
- Organic Beans : Growing & Seed Saving Info
Bean Preservation – Canning, Dehydrating, & Freezing:
- Canning Pinto Beans (same process for any dried bean except lentils, actually)
- Canning Green / Wax Beans for the Time Crunched
- Dehydrated Spicy Green Beans
- Freezing Green Beans
Bean Cooking – Basics & Recipes:
- How to Buy & Cook Dried Beans
- Homemade Baked Beans
- 5 Ingredient Crock Pot Chili
- Black Bean & Sweet Potato Soup
Bean Resources – Books:
- Bean By Bean: A Cookbook: More than 175 Recipes for Fresh Beans, Dried Beans, Cool Beans, Hot Beans, Savory Beans, Even Sweet Beans!
- Heirloom Beans: Great Recipes for Dips and Spreads, Soups and Stews, Salads and Salsas, and Much More from Rancho Gordo
- How to Grow Beans and Peas: Planting and Growing Organic Green Beans, Sugar Snap Peas, and Heirloom Dry Beans and Peas
Have a favorite recipe or growing / preserving tip to share? Please do so in the comments.I sometimes receive compensation in the forms of cash and/or products but the opinions represented are always my own. Posts may also contain affiliate links, should you click and buy I receive a small commission which helps me offset costs of the blog but there is no additional cost to you. None my statements have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, nor should anything read here replace the advice of a trained medical professional - you are responsible for your own health.See my full disclaimer here.