Sweet and crunchy these coconut chocolate chip cookies are sure to become a fast and easy favorite. Use the almonds or skip the nuts to make the cookies perfect for yourself and your loved ones.
Sturdy and hearty this is a homemade coconut cookies recipe perfect for sticking into care packages as they’ll withstand the rigors of shipping.[mailerlite_form form_id=8]
They also make great dunkers either in milk or coffee once they reach their final destination.
Finely Chopped Nuts
Almonds and coconut are a natural, flavorful combination. However, any nut you favor would be incredible.
Do chop the nuts finely for this recipe. It makes for a crunchier cookie overall. I did this with an old-fashioned nut chopper but one could do it with a good sharp knife.
Use roasted and salted nuts for a bit of a sweet and salty cookie that is pretty tasty.
I used a standard semi-sweet chocolate chip in this recipe. However, white chocolate or milk chocolate would be equally tasty.
Skip the flaked and overly sweetened shredded coconut normally found in the baking aisle for this recipe. These cookies do not need the extra sugar.
Instead hit the natural foods aisle or local health food store for unsweetened coconut. There you’ll likely find a variety of shred sizes – go with the chip sizes for bigger pieces of coconut in the cookies. Use the fine shred for a more intense coconut flavor throughout.
Regular vanilla extract works more than fine in this recipe. However, to change up the flavor just slightly consider substituting half or all of the vanilla for almond or even coconut extract.
These cookies do freeze delightfully well. Simply let cool completely, tuck into airtight containers, and freeze.
Use up frozen cookies within 6 months.
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter, softened
- 6 Tablespoons Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Unsweetened, Shredded Coconut
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 Cup Almonds, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet.
- Whisk together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until almost combined.
- Fold in the coconut, chocolate chips, and almonds until completely combined.
- Drop by Tablespoonsful onto prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2" between cookies.
- Flatten each cookie slightly for the palm of your hand.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 9 to 11 minutes. The cookies will brown around the edges and be set on top when done.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g
We try our best but cannot guarantee that nutrition information is 100% accurate.