I happen to have an abundance of green tomatoes and while I plan on making some green tomato salsa and letting others ripen inside, I was looking for something a little unusual to do with a few. I did a little searching which led me to this recipe for green tomato jam. Her recipe, however; required cooking the jam down for almost two hours until it set. I’m too lazy for that so I decided to modify her recipe a bit by adding some slightly under-ripe apples to my jam for their natural pectin, hoping it would thicken the jam up without hours of cooking time. It did and I must say as unusual as this jam sounds it is quite wonderful. I’ll be making more. I hope you’ll give Gingerly Green Tomato & Vanilla Apple Jam a try next time you’re faced with an abundance of green tomatoes.
- 8 Cups of chopped green tomatoes
- 2 Cups of peeled & cored chopped apples
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- Place everything into a nonreactive pot, scraping the insides of the vanilla bean (all those little black spots) into the pan, but not the pod itself. Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat and continue to boil until it thickens. Stir occasionally and even mash up the bits of apple and tomato with a potato masher. Boil until the gel point is reached. It took about 30 minutes for this jam to set for me. It may take more or less time for you depending on the pectin quality of your apples.
- Pour into jars, leaving 1/4" headspace and process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes (adjust for elevation) or store in a refrigerator.
- This made 3 and a half pints for me.
I found this jam to be particularly lovely in homemade plain yogurt with a bit of granola. I hope you’ll get creative and let me know how you use this creation up.
Disclaimer: I may receive compensation for products mentioned in this post. All opinions expressed are my own. I am not a doctor, always seek trained medical advice. No statements should be considered approved by the FDA or as a diagnosis or treatment for any illness. See my Full Disclaimer Here.