The kitchen table was covered in bits of the garden harvest. So, I began perusing some canning books for new ideas. This recipe for Apple Salsa Verde made use of everything while also helping me fill my pantry for winter.
My kitchen table often gets covered with bits that need using up. There were a few apples from the very loaded tree, some jalapeños, some sweet peppers, and a big bowl of purple tomatillos. I was planning a crisp with the apples and figured the peppers would be tossed into meals this week. The tomatillos were slated for soup.
But those canning books gave me much more creative ideas for preservation and future meals.
Slightly Hot & Tart
This is a delightful salsa. A hint of sweet with the perfect amount of heat and tart. The sweetness of the apple and bit of added sugar calm down the heat level without wiping it out completely.
If you'd like it hotter, there are a couple of options:
Leave the seeds in the jalapeños to make it hotter, remove them for a milder heat level. For medium heat, leave some and remove some.
Switch the jalapenos for a hotter pepper (Serrano or Habarnero for example).
How to Use Apple Salsa Verde
While, I do imagine it would be great with chips, it has so much more to offer. This apple salsa verde shines a braising liquid. Pour a half pint with some beef or pork roast in a slow cooker for about 8 hours. Then shred that meat for some amazing tacos. Bake chicken breasts in it and use for a taco salad.
- 4 Cups Tomatillos, removed from husks, washed, and roughly chopped
- 2 Cups Finely Chopped Apples
- ½ Cup Chopped Sweet Pepper
- ⅓ Cup Chopped Jalapeños
- ½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Have jars and boiling water canner ready.
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Mix well. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle salsa into prepared jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Secure lids and rings.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes (adjusting for elevation).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 7 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 27mg Carbohydrates: 2g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 0g