This apple molasses cake combines those amazing seasonal fruits with some bittersweet moistness in a quick and easy package.
Our favorite apple dessert is apple crisp. It also happens to be our favorite apple breakfast. Crisps come together so quickly and easily but there are times when something a bit ‘fancier' is needed. Cake always seem like a welcome dessert for gatherings or just family dinners.
Endless Customization Options
Gingerbread is definitely a favorite dessert of my husband. This cake is fairly similar to those kinds of cake. It's dark and moist, slightly bitter but also sweet.
If ginger isn't a favorite flavor, substitute it with cinnamon or nutmeg, even cardamom or cloves (though maybe halve the cloves). Use apple pie spice or truly any combination of spice enjoyed in your home.
Although I didn't test, I believe pears would work just as well in this recipe. Toss in half a cup of chopped nuts or even raisins, if desired.
This is a simple snacking type of cake. It doesn't need frosting, however; a simple sugar glaze might be nice. Dusting it with powdered sugar worked just fine for us – looks pretty and is tasty. Whipped cream or even ice cream would be nice as well.
If molasses isn't your thing, try this apple cake with caramel glaze.
- ½ Cup Butter, melted
- ½ Cup Molasses
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Cup Cored, Peeled, & Chopped Apples
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9" round cake pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and ginger. Set aside.
- Whisk together the melted butter, molasses, brown sugar, and egg until completely emulsified.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until almost combined. Fold in the chopped apples and continue stirring until completely combined. This is a thick batter.
- Spread the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out to cool completely on a cake plate.
Serving Ideas: Sprinkle with powdered sugar, serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 54mg Sodium: 203mg Carbohydrates: 54g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 28g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g