It’s cranberry season. Homemade cranberry sauce is a wonderful thing and it seems like there are as many versions as there families. Make this brandied cranberry sauce for a different take on the classic version.
The alcohol cooks out leaving behind the amazing apple brandy flavor without getting anyone drunk. A lightly spiced rum would work nicely as well. Use apple juice to avoid alcohol completely.
Freeze or Can for Long Term Storage
You could make a small batch of this and just keep it in the fridge for a week or two for fresh eating.
For long term storage, I can and leave on the pantry shelves.
If you don’t want to can the brandied cranberry sauce, freeze it in jars or bags. Use up within 6 months.
How to Use Brandied Cranberry Sauce
In short, use it in any way plain cranberry sauce is used:
Mix it with cream cheese and spread it on a bagel
Stir it into plain yogurt
Spread it on turkey sandwiches
Top ice cream or cakes with it
Mix it with oatmeal
Pour it over pancakes or waffles
- 36 ounces Cranberries
- 5 Cups Sugar
- 4 Cups Water
- 20 Whole Allspice
- 15 Whole Cloves
- 5 Whole Cinnamon Sticks (each about 3" long)
- 2 Cups Apple Brandy or Apple Liqueur
- Put the allspice & cloves into a spice ball.
- Combine water, cranberries, and sugar in a heavy pot.
- Toss in the spice ball and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring the mixture to boil, stirring occasionally. As the cranberries begin popping, scrape off any foam just like you would in making jam.
- After the majority of the cranberries pop, about 10 minutes into the boiling process, add the brandy and return to a boil. Boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and remove the cinnamon sticks and spice ball.
- Pour the hot mixture into jars. Process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude.
Serving Size:1/2 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 46gProtein: 0g
We try our best but cannot guarantee that nutrition information is 100% accurate.