Lemon poppy seed cake is beloved by many for it’s flavor and crunch. It’s also incredibly easy to make and beautiful to serve.
This lemon poppy seed budnt cake is loaded with poppy seeds giving it a heavy crunch and poppy seed flavor – this is not just a few seeds for looks or hint of flavor.
Lots of Poppy Seeds
Most poppy seed cakes seem to just have a Tablespoon or two of the tiny seeds. Admittedly, they are small and a bit can go a very long way. However, this cake makes the poppy seeds the star with a full 3/4 cup included.
Use homegrown poppy seeds, if you have them, as a great way to share the garden with friends. If you don’t have them get them from the grocery or health food store.
You’ll need to look for more than the little spice jar often sold alongside dried herbs. Bob’s Red Mill has them and I can find them along with their flours, etc. in my local store. You can also buy them online.
I tested this recipe in a 10″ bundt pan. You could likely go up or down in size but will need to watch the baking time more carefully and check for doneness with a toothpick or metal tester.
I’ve included a simple lemon glaze recipe in the card below. The glaze is tasty and adds another level of sweetness and tartness to the cake.
The glaze also helps prevent the cake from drying out if it isn’t going to be eaten up in one day.
You could skip the glaze and serve the cake with some whipped cream or ice cream instead. You could also simply dust it with powdered sugar prior to serving.
- 3/4 Cup Poppy Seeds
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Salted Butter, softened
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Cups Unbleached, All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Zest of 1 Lemon
Optional Lemon Glaze
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 10" Bundt Pan.
- Combine the poppy seeds and milk in a small sauce pan. Heat the milk just until it starts to steam / scald it.
- Let cool to room temperature before proceeding.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
- Alternate mixing in the flour mixture followed by the milk / poppy seed mixture until everything is mixed together completely.
- Spread the batter into prepared bundt pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out to a plate to cool completely.
Make the Optional Glaze
- Mix together the lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and let harden before serving.
Substitute lemon extract for the vanilla extract for an even more intense lemon flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 287mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 5g