Switch up your pickling routine with this spicy bread and butter pickles recipe.
There is just a bit of heat here thanks to some freshly grated ginger but they are not hot, rather spicy with plenty of flavor from the mustard and turmeric.
They’re sweet and sour like all homemade bread and butter pickles but also have this bit of zesty spice that go well with hamburgers and tuna salad and more.
Not Your Usual Bread & Butter Pickle
This recipe has all the basics you’d expect in a traditional bread and butter pickle recipe. It has onions, though less than most recipes, it’s a perfect mix of sweet and sour, but it also has a hint of spice that isn’t always common in the American version.
As you work your way through your pickling cucumber harvest be sure to put up a few of these sweet pickles for your winter pantry.[mailerlite_form form_id=3]
If at all possible use a mandoline slicer instead of a knife for this recipe. The slicing will go so much faster that way.
Plus it will keep the onion and cucumber slices uniform which makes for better better texture overall in these pickles.
White vinegar is the most traditional choice for bread and butter pickles. Personally, we’re just bigger fans of apple cider vinegar here.
The apple cider vinegar does result in a slightly darker color and for us a better flavor. However, use white vinegar if preferred.
As with all pickling for canning purposes, make sure to use a vinegar that is diluted to 5% to keep it safe for canning.
Admittedly, there is a good bit of sugar in these pickles. These homemade pickles should be sweet. You can adjust it lower if you feel like you must.
These should be occasional additions not a staple part of a diet in my opinion and so I leave it.
Brown sugar is used instead of white sugar here, I feel like this adds a different depth of flavor but I imagine the white would work just fine if you wanted to substitute.
Don’t Skip the Salt Water Soak
Yes, soak the pickles in salt water for 2 hours. No, don’t be tempted to short cut this step.
This salt water bath does a lot for the texture, especially when put through the hot water bath of the canning process.
For Refrigerator Pickles
While the following is intended to be a spicy bread and butter pickles canning recipe, however you can skip the canning if you really want too.
Follow all the steps but skip the canning step. You could put the pickles in bigger jars like half gallons and just refrigerate. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least a week for optimum flavor.
Granted the recipe makes a big batch for sitting in the fridge, but they will keep for at least 6 months, maybe longer without canning.
Be sure to make up an extra batch or two of these delicious pickles as gifts. Tuck them into care packages, hostess gifts, and more for a special gift from the vegetable garden most anyone will enjoy.
- Put cumber and onion slices into a very large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and toss everything together well. Cover with cold water. Let sit for 2 hours.
- As it gets close to the end of the 2 hour soak, get canning jars and water bath canner ready for use.
- Drain and rinse well to remove the salt.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, ginger, and turmeric in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stir in the cucumbers mixture, stirring well. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and pour into hot jars. Use a slotted spoon to put the veggies in jar first, then pour hot vinegar mixture over it. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace in jars. Remove air bubbles and wipe rims of jars with a damp cloth. Place lids and rings on jars, securing to finger tight.
- Process filled jars in boiling water bath for 10 minutes (adjust processing time for elevation).
- Store sealed jars (without rings) in a dark place. Let sit for at least a week for best flavor. Use up canned goods within 1 year.
Serving Size:2 Tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 10Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 296mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
We try our best but cannot guarantee that nutrition information is 100% accurate.