Canning stewed rhubarb is a simple and tasty way to use up that productive garden plant.
There is only so much pie and strawberry rhubarb crisp a person can eat. However, that tartness can be such a bright welcome flavor come winter. And the easiest way to save that flavor is by canning rhubarb sauce.
An Easy Preserve
Stewed rhubarb is simply sliced rhubarb mixed with sugar and gently boiled.
That mixture of sugar, rhubarb, and juice is then put into jars and canned.
It doesn’t get much easier, no making of sugar syrup, no need to worry about gel stage, etc.
Make huge batches, if desired, as there’s no need to worry about setting don’t fear doubling or tripling the recipe.
Ways to Use Stewed Rhubarb:
These beautiful jars are a simple addition to many meals in winter:
- Use as a pancake / waffle topping instead of syrups
- Mix in with oatmeal and other hot cereals for a flavorful, fruity punch
- Top ice cream, poundcake, or sweet shortcake biscuits for an easy dessert
- Dumplings! Put a jar or two into a pot and heat, add dumpling batter and cook until the dumplings are cooked and fluffy.
- Stir into homemade yogurt
- Pour a jar or two into the bottom of a pie plate and top with oats and melted butter for a crisp-style dessert.
- 12 Cups Sliced Rhubarb
- 1 ½ Cups Sugar
- In a large pot combine the rhubarb and sugar, mixing well. Cover and let stand until juice begins to release from the fruit.
- While the fruit stands, get the boiling water canner going and get jars, lids, and rings ready.
- Once some water has started to release from the rhubarb, bring it to a gentle boil, stirring to prevent scorching. Ladle the stewed rhubarb into hot jars leaving 1/2" headspace. Clean rims, put on lids and rings.
- Process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for elevation.
Scale the recipe up or down by figuring 1/2 Cup sugar for every 4 Cups of chopped rhubarb
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/2 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 1g
We try our best but cannot guarantee that nutrition information is 100% accurate.