Apple butter pie is a lightly sweet and simple pie perfect for everyday and holiday feasts alike. It’s also an incredible way to use up and give away all that apple butter you canned in the fall.
Pre-Made Apple Butter
Apple butter usually comes already sweetened and spiced. You can make your own apple butter or purchase something.
Either way, taste the apple butter first before making the pie. Is it sweet enough? Is it spiced enough?
If the answer is yes, proceed.
If the answer is no, add some sugar and spice to taste then proceed.
Other Fruit Butters
I did not test this recipe with anything other than apple butter. However, I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with whatever fruit butter you might have on your pantry shelves.
The Crumb Topping
The filling is quite smooth in the mouth. The crumb topping gives this pie some texture that I felt was much needed.
It’s a simple topping with few ingredients. A person could easily add some chopped nuts for added crunch.
Do crumble the topping between your fingers. There’s no need for fancy kitchen gadgets, your hands will the best job of making uneven pieces distributed evenly over the top of the filling.
You could skip the crumb topping, if desired.
Baker’s Pie Crust Choice
Use whatever pie crust recipe is your favorite here. In a pinch, you could use refrigerated pie dough.
But honestly an all-butter pie crust isn’t as difficult as many of us believe.
Want to Make it Gluten-Free?
Use your favorite gluten-free pie crust recipe. Substitute a gluten-free flour blend for the all-purpose flour in the topping and filling.
- 1 Unbaked Pie Shell (9")
- 1 1/2 Cups Apple Butter
- 1/4 Cup Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Salted Butter, melted
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a 9" pie plate with pie dough. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Make the filling by whisking together the apple butter, flour, and eggs until smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Make the crumble topping by mixing together the flour, melted butter, and brown sugar until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell.
- Crumble the topping between your fingers and sprinkle over the apple butter filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes. The filling will puff and set as it bakes. An inserted toothpick will come out clean.
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Serving Size:1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 6g
We try our best but cannot guarantee that nutrition information is 100% accurate.