Homemade chocolate raspberry cake is simple, delicious, and yet so very impressive if serving guests.
Rich and decadent this summer raspberry cake with raspberry cream cheese frosting is sweet enough for kids and yet complex and flavorful enough for adults to enjoy as well.
The cake is also a great way to share the fruits of your summer berry picking adventures!
Dark & Rich
The recipe calls for black cocoa which is indeed quite dark and black. If you’re new to baking with black cocoa know that the color and flavor will be much darker than regular cocoa.
Don’t have black cocoa? Use regular cocoa powder just know the results will be less intensely colored than those in the photo.
The mini chocolate chips almost completely disappear in the baking process. This means you’ll get little pockets of flavor but no actual chips to chew or to add crunch to the cake.
One could substitute regular chocolate chips just know they may leave bits to chew after baking – not necessarily bad at all, just different.
Don’t have any chocolate chips easily at hand? Skip them, no reason to run to the store.
The sour cream, eggs, and berries make for a very moist cake. One that has an incredible texture but will also need to be refrigerated. This is not the best cake to leave sit out at room temperature.
While the cake is delightful just as it is, there are some other ways to mix it up if desired.
Substitute almond extract for the vanilla extract for a delightful flavor combination.
Add some chopped or slivered almonds to the cake batter.
Included in the recipe is a raspberry cream cheese frosting which is a delicious way to top the cake. However, it is not the only option.
- Use a plain chocolate or vanilla frosting
- Regular cream cheese frosting is amazing
- Pour a chocolate or white chocolate glaze over the top
- Skip the frosting entirely and drizzle with just a bit of melted chocolate instead.
How to Serve
Because the raspberry cake is so very rich on its own, simple might be best. Serve slices with a simple hot or cold drink and be done. This simplicity makes it perfect for an easy summer cake dessert.
A bit of vanilla or chocolate ice cream might be nice as well but keep the slices small.
A few fresh raspberries on the side or top of the cake would be nice as well.
Chocolate Raspberry Cake
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter, softened
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Black Cocoa
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
- 5 ounces Raspberries (1 Heaping Cup)
Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 Tablespoons Salted Butter, softened
- 1 1/2 Ounces Raspberries, pureed
- 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
- Whisk together the flour, black cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- Add the sour cream and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, mixing until everything is completely combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and raspberries.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 65 to 75 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place on wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the rim of the pan to loosen it from the edges and remove the springform rim.
- Allow the cake to cool completely on the bottom of the pan or invert onto a serving plate.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Make the Frosting:
- Cream together the cream cheese and frosting until fluffy.
- Add the raspberry puree and mix well.
- Slowly add 2 cups of the powdered sugar and beat. Add more powdered sugar as necessary to get a loose but spreadable frosting.
- Spread onto cooled cake.
Store leftover cake in the refrigerator.
For the frosting more or less powdered sugar may be necessary, depending on the juiciness of the berries. Trust your instincts.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 504Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 318mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 3gSugar: 49gProtein: 6g
We try our best but cannot guarantee that nutrition information is 100% accurate.