Satisfy the sweet tooth in a way that feels simultaneously indulgent and healthy. Doesn't sound possible, I know. But these pumpkin coconut macaroons are indeed both. They're also gluten-free and vegan for occasions where those might be necessary.
To Spice or Not
I know this time of year, screams for pumpkin spice everything. I'm a fan of itself myself adding to muffins, candy, and more. In these macaroons, however; I've skipped any spice to allow the coconut and pumpkin to be the dominant flavors. If that seems like too much of a sin, add ½ teaspoon of pumpkin spice with the starch.
Any Winter Squash
Canned pumpkin works perfectly in these cookies. However, most any cooked and pureed winter squash would also work. I've used lower salmon river squash and sweet meat squashes with great success.
Dark Chocolate Dip
To give these macaroons just another bit of flavor, dip the baked cookie into dark or milk chocolate. I usually do about half in chocolate and half plain. Dip the flat bottoms and place onto to wax paper to harden. Alternatively, drizzle stripes of melted chocolate across the tops of the baked cookies.
- 1 Cup Pumpkin (or other winter squash) Puree
- ⅓ Cup Maple Syrup
- 3 Cups Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut
- ⅔ Cup Tapioca or Arrowroot Starch
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut, starch, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup and pumpkin until emulsified.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. It will seem a little stiff.
- Form the batter into tight balls between the palm, or pack into a cookie scoop before placing on prepared baking sheet. The macaroons don't spread, feel free to place them close together on the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 28mg Carbohydrates: 10g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g