As we move deeper into fall and then winter, it seems that warm drinks are especially welcome. It’s a natural seasonal progression, in my opinion, we move from cold, light refreshing drinks to warmer, richer liquids to fuel our days. A natural tendency that I see no reason to shun. Grab those mugs and full them up with warm drinks for cool days in the coming seasons.
Let me just say that I have a pretty serious love affair with coffee. All things flavored coffee if I’m being completely honest. For the most part, my cup is usually filled with drip coffee and a just splash of goat milk. Now and then I do a fancy drink or make a homemade mocha but most of the time, I’m pretty boring. Still, that warm cup of coffee in my chilled hands after a morning walk is pretty much the best thing. Here are five ways to get your warm coffee on this fall and winter:
- Gingerbread Latte – Skip the dubious chemicals and expense at fancy coffee shops and make it at home
- Peppermint Mocha – Peppermint and chocolate is always a great combination, why not put it in coffee too?
- Maple Clove Butter Coffee – Sweet and spicy with a healthy fat twist
Perhaps there’s a reason to skip coffee, that doesn’t mean one has to miss the coffee flavor. Try these herbal substitutions full of flavor but none of the off-putting parts of coffee:
- Chicory Mocha – Coffee like flavor from natural chicory root and a little chocolate too for a coffee-house inspired drink
- Roasted Dandelion Root Coffee – Use your weeds for a caffeine-free coffee-like drink sure to satisfy.
The great thing about herbal tea is that it can be strictly about flavor or it can be about healing. You choose what works best for you and your needs:
- Chamomile Latte – I think this would particularly lovely at night when trying to relax and get ready for sleep
- Cinnamon Tea – Spicy and full of herbs to heal those sore throats
- Love Tea – Full of herbs and spices known for their aphrodisiac powers drink up with your love on a chilly night
Chai Tea Variations
This spicy brew has any number of adaptations and so easily be made to suit individual tastes. Try these as inspiration and begin mixing up your own:
- Chai Spice Blend – Mix up the basic spice and add to regular black tea
- Chaga Chai with Carob & Coconut – Full of nourishing herbs and flavor
- Homemade Chai Concentrate – Keep it the fridge and warm it up quickly for on-the-go days.
- Golden Milk Chai – Increase the healing power of your warm drink with turmeric
Because is there anything more comforting than warm chocolate?
- Herbal Hot Chocolate – Use those homegrown herbs for additional flavor and nourishment in your cup of decadent chocolate
- Lavender White Chocolate Steamer – This version is full of good for you ingredients that can make you feel good about serving this as dessert often
- Hot Cocoa – Made on the stovetop with maple syrup for a sweet, creamy cup
- Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate – Full of spice and even some chamomile tea for a calming twist
Let’s be honest a shot of homemade cordial or whiskey in hot chocolate always works as a warm cocktail. However, for those times when you want something slowly mulled or even a little more special give these a try:
- Mulled Hard Cider – Regular mulled cider is always a fall treat but take it up a notch with this hard version for adults.
- Spiced Winter Wine – Cool days and nights just scream for spice and when mulled with wine one can never go wrong.
- Hot Buttered Rum – Rich and sweet this is great for special occasions and gatherings.
Fruity Warm Drinks
The seasonal fruits of fall and winter lend themselves very well to gentle heating and drinking:
- Cranberry Punch – Use these seasonal gems for a delicious treat
- Spiced Apple Cider – Made quick & easy in the instant pot
- Wassail – Traditionally full of winter fruits that is naturally sweet with just a bit of spice
Warm milk has a way of being comforting and soothing all in a simple cup. Use cow milk or non-dairy alternatives as suit your needs:
- Golden Milk – Full of comfort and healing herbs this is a great winter drink
- Butterbeer – Sweet and spicy for the Harry Potter Fans and those that love them
- Pumpkin Steamer – Actual pumpkin and spice with your warmed milk for a seasonal sensation
As the days cool off, whip some warm drinks that suit your fancy and relax in the comfort and warmth of this special season.
Disclaimer: I may receive compensation for products mentioned in this post. All opinions expressed are my own. I am not a doctor, always seek trained medical advice. No statements should be considered approved by the FDA or as a diagnosis or treatment for any illness. See my Full Disclaimer Here.