Hearty and full of simple flavor these oatmeal whiskey cookies are quick and easy to make for dessert, care packages, and more.
There’s nothing fussy about these cookies in making or in their final appearance, honestly. They are a homemade cookie full of sweetness and flavor but are also quite plain looking. Don’t let that fool ya.
You know those days when you just need a cookie or you need to make something quickly for a bake sale or unexpected company? These whiskey oat cookies are perfect for such occasions.
The butter is melted, meaning no worrying about pulling butter out to soften or trying to soften it in the microwave or beating into submission. Simply melt the butter on the stove and proceed.
Gluten Free Options
You could easily make these cookies gluten-free. Opt for your favorite gluten-free flour blend (I like the one from Bob’s Red Mill). Choose certified gluten-free oats to be on the safe side.
Whiskey is supposed to gluten-free because of the distillation process, however; be extra sure by choosing a brand that makes a certified gluten-free whiskey.
For the Vegans
This is not at all hard to adapt for vegans. Use a melted vegetable oil spread or even melted coconut oil instead of butter. Use your favorite egg replacement, like a flax egg.
You could add up to 1 cup of the following for additional flavor options:
- Chocolate Chips
- Dried Fruit, chopped if large
- Chopped Nuts
- Sunflower Seeds
Decorate, if Desired
Want to make them a little less plain looking? Consider the following:
- Spread the cooled cookies with your favorite frosting
- Drizzle a bit of melted chocolate over the top
- Dip the bottoms of the cookies in melted chocolate
- Pour a simple powdered sugar glaze over the tops
Store the cookies in an airtight container. At room temperature, they will keep for about 5 days (assuming they last that long).
Freeze the cookies for up to 6 months. They freeze delightfully so don’t be shy in making big batches.
These are a hardy cookie so they pack well either in lunch boxes or care packages.
- 2 Cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter, melted
- 1/4 Cup Whiskey
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease cookies sheets or line with parchment paper / silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and oats. Set aside.
- Whisk together the brown sugar, melted butter, whiskey, and eggs until completely emulsified.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until completely combined.
- Drop the dough by heaping Tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will be golden brown when done.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 64mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g