Buttery and full of citrus flavor these easy orange chocolate chip cookies are ideal for winter and holiday buffets.
The bits of colorful orange bits in white cookies dotted with chocolate give a rather simple cookie a delightful appearance along with their tastiness.
Make double or triple batches of these small, rich, and flavorful cookies for cookie exchanges and for mailing in care packages.
Zest for Flavor
All of the orange flavor in these cookies come from the zest of an orange. A generous Tablespoon of freshly grated orange zest is a good start. Go for more if you want an even bigger hit of orange flavor.
One could easily substitute tangerine, lemon, lime, or grapefruit zest for a different but no less lovely taste.
Do use freshly grated zest for the most intense flavor. Also cream it well with the sugar and butter. It seems that beating helps it release more of the oils that give everything lots of flavor.
Use whatever is your favorite. Dark, milk, white, etc. Chop it into smallish chunks to keep the final cookies small.
Semi-sweet chocolate chips work perfectly. And are likely to be more easily on hand for many bakers. Mini chocolate chips would be especially delightful.
Small in Size but Rich
These are a rich cookie. Keep them small because of their richness. I’m generally a big fan of large cookies but in this case small works better.
These cookies are simple and perfect just as baked. However, if you want to make them a bit fancier for a holiday buffet or guests, you have options:
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the tops
- Dip half the cookie in melted chocolate and top with a small piece of candied orange peel
- Dust with powdered sugar just before serving
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter, softened
- 3 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Grated Orange Zest
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cream together the cream cheese, butter, sugar, and orange zest until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until incorporated.
- Add the flour and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until edges brown slightly.
- Remove from sheets to cool completely on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 72 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 13mg Sodium: 27mg Carbohydrates: 8g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g