Winter Squash is an amazing source of nourishment. These squashes, in all their glorious varieties, provide calories and flavor while also storing well. Pumpkin tends to get most of the attention but there are so many other kinds. While they do lend themselves marvelously to sweet dishes and desserts let's not overlook the savory winter squash recipes either. Make the most of those winter squashes for your fall and winter seasonal meals with these ideas.
Don't Stress About Variety
Recipes abound but don't worry about using the correct variety. Use buttercup instead of butternut, pumpkin instead of hubbard, etc. There are subtle flavor differences, of course, but for the most part no recipe will be a failure when substituting one variety for another.
Butternut squash with its smooth sides is the easiest winter squash to peel with a regular vegetable peeler. The more ridged varieties can be peeled, however with a little more work. Use what's on hand.
Cook the Entire Squash, Freeze the Excess
Winter squashes can mighty big things. There will likely be leftovers. For example, only 3 cups of cubes are needed for a pot of soup. Toss those cubes in the soup. Roast the other half of the squash in the oven and freeze that puree for use later. Please note: it is not safe to can winter squash puree, the cubes can be processed in a pressure canner but not the puree. Freeze the puree, please.
Winter Squash Salad Recipes
Make a seasonal salad with hearty greens, grains, and a variety of winter squashes with these creative and tasty ideas:
- Warm Winter Squash Kale Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- Massaged Kale Salad with Roasted Squash Goat Cheese & Pepitas
- Butternut Squash Wild Rice Salad
- Turmeric Salad with Apples & Acorn Squash
- Delicata Squash Salad with Persimmons
Winter Squash Soup Recipes
As the temperatures cool, soup begins to appear on menu plans again. Thankfully, winter squash makes an ideal and flavorful soup base:
- Winter Squash & Ginger Cream Soup
- Kabocha Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato, & Carrot Soup
- Creamy Apple Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash & Quinoa Stew
Put winter squash in all your sides:
- Butternut Squash Grits
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Acorn Squash
- Mashed Butternut Squash with Goat Cheese and Rosemary
- Acorn Squash Risotto
- Pumpkin Fries
- Garlic Herb Potatoes & Squash
Vegetarian Winter Squash Main Dishes
Winter squash works well as a vegan or vegetarian main dish, they tend to be gigantic, frugal, and filling.
- Squash & Millet Casserole
- Make ‘noodles' from winter squash
- Butternut Squash & Ricotta Empanadas
- Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
- Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms
- Southwest Black Bean Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Roasted Acorn Squash with Baked Eggs
Winter Squash Main Dishes with Meat
For the meat eaters, winter squash pairs deliciously and can stretch a main dish with tons of flavor.
- Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage & Mushrooms
- Roasted Pumpkin & Garlic Pasta with Sage and Thyme Meatballs
- Chicken Enchilada Bake with Butternut Squash and Black Beans
- Roasted Butternut with Bacon, Leeks, and Goat Cheese
- Maple Bacon Butternut Squash Hash
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi
Stock up on that winter squash this fall season while it's inexpensive. Store it well and eat it all winter long.