Chocolate applesauce cake is a simple, from scratch dessert that is sure to impress.
The moist cake and homemade decadent chocolate frosting are great for weeknight meals and celebrations alike.
Applesauce cakes are delightfully moist without gobs of oil or butter. They have tendency to stay fresh for quite awhile, too.
The texture is a little different than an all butter cake but no less wonderful.
Use homemade applesauce or something purchased. Simply make sure it’s a completely pureed (not chunky) style and unsweetened. There’s plenty of sugar in the cake itself the applesauce doesn’t need to add more.
There is something wonderful about chocolate and spice in my book. However, the spice is light on purpose in this recipe.
Go heavier if you a more pronounced hit of spice.
Skip the spice altogether if desired for a plain and yet wonderful chocolate cake.
Frosting or Glaze?
Traditionally, it seems that bundt cakes are glazed with something thin. I, often, do that myself.
With this cake, however; I went with a thicker frosting to make for a richer dessert.
If you want more of a glaze effect, add more milk to the frosting and pour it over the cake.
The chocolate is wonderful, but you could do a simple vanilla glaze or whatever variation you prefer.
Skipping the frosting completely is an option, as well. Simply dust with a little powdered sugar before serving.
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 1/3 Cups Milk
- 2/3 Cup Applesauce
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter, melted
- 4 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/3 Cups Cocoa Powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 ounce Unsweetened Chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Grease a 10 inch Bundt pan.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, applesauce, milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a plate to cool completely before glazing.
Make the Glaze:
- Melt together the butter and unsweetened chocolate.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add the melted butter and chocolate, pour in the milk and stir until completely combined.
- If it is too thick for your liking, add 1 teaspoon of milk at a time and stir until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread the glaze over the cooled cake. Let set before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 282mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 6g
We try our best but cannot guarantee that nutrition information is 100% accurate.